Russia Threatens Use of Nuclear Weapons

RUSSIAN GENERAL NIKOLAI MAKAROV
Saber Rattling or Genuine Threat?

By Michael Chester

In a November 17th speech to Russia’s parliament, General Nikolai Makarov, chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces, spoke of concerns over NATO’s expansion eastward and stated that the risks of Russia being pulled into local conflicts have “risen sharply.”

Countries who previously were members of the Warsaw Pact and have since become NATO members include Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. Russia also has deeply strained relations with Georgia after a 2008 war over two disputed provinces. Georgia is seeking NATO membership. Ukraine, at one point indicated its plans to align with Western powers, but it is now ruled by a pro-Russia president, and its liberal opposition leader has been imprisoned.

According to Russian news agencies, Makarov stated that “under certain conditions local and regional conflicts may develop into a full-scale war involving nuclear weapons.” The general said: “The possibility of local armed conflicts along nearly the whole border has increased dramatically. In certain conditions, I do not rule out local and regional armed conflicts developing into a large-scale war, including using nuclear weapons.”

YouTube - Veterans Today -

General Makarov, 62, was a former platoon commander for the Red Army in East Germany and has served in many posts in strategically sensitive areas for Moscow. Before the breakup of the Soviet Union, he served with forces in Siberia, and after the breakup was chief of staff of Russian forces in Tajikistan. As a protégé of Vladimir Putin, he was land and seashore commander of the Baltic Fleet, and later first deputy commander, Moscow Military District. He has been Russian chief of defense staff since 2008, and also serves as a deputy defense minister.

A steady decline in Russia’s conventional forces has prompted them to rely increasingly on their nuclear deterrent. Makarov also said Russia is struggling to get enough recruits for the 1-million man military, as the number of draftees has shrunk dramatically because of demographical changes. He said that the military is aiming to eventually form an all-volunteer army. He didn’t mention a specific time frame. This is a major change in their previous position that Russia needs to maintain the draft because an all-volunteer military would be too costly.

Makarov also warned that the pullout of US and other NATO forces from Afghanistan could trigger conflicts in neighboring ex-Soviet nations that could “grow into a large-scale war.”

Russia’s military doctrine says it may use nuclear weapons to counter a nuclear attack on Russia or an ally, or a large-scale conventional attack that threatens Russia’s existence.

Unfortunately, the US may have already opened the nuclear Pandora’s box in Iraq. If you have been reading VT in the last few weeks, you know that our staff has uncovered conclusive evidence of the use of small scale nuclear weapons in Iraq. The US admits use of “depleted uranium” in its weapons systems which presents a very dangerous health hazard on its own, but high level traces of weapons grade uranium 235 have also been found. This could not come from depleted uranium and is only used in nuclear weapons and reactors. Since there are no leaking reactors in the area, the only logical conclusion is that “someone” used nuclear weapons there. We make and possess these types of weapons. Russia and Israel also have them. Draw your own conclusions.

We have also uncovered evidence that Iran has multiple nuclear warheads purchased from Ukraine in 2003. Even though, at this point, they are not of any real tactical value to Iran, their mere presence could trigger a conflict. Couple this with the proposed “fake” war between Iran and Israel and you have a potential lit fuse.

YouTube - Veterans Today -

Posted by on November 20, 2011, With Reads Filed under Veterans. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

20 Responses to "Russia Threatens Use of Nuclear Weapons"

1. xx  November 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Sorry Michael,,,time for me to depart.

2. xx  November 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

JC,

Now here’s someone whose saying “stop feeding noise”, when “in fact” the first comment he makes is “DISINFORMATION”. Then runs off when he’s busted!

Quote:
    “Not just Russia, it has been reported that Zhu Chenghu was suggesting that China would use nuclear weapons should the US forcefully interfere in China/Taiwan relations or in the case of the US invading China.”

3. xx  November 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

JC,

You and your “buddies” here can take my email and name turn it over to the communist party any time you want, “because I don’t give a shit!”

4. xx  November 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

JC,

You have nothing to back anything you say, the typical Chinese worker makes about 1000 RMB per month, do the math, that’s about $150 US dollars, or less then $40 dollars per week. I spent much of my income contracting Chinese workers, engineers, and others and paid them much higher incomes. No one can travel to the US, unless they have family members in China, do you know why? I know why?

I have worked all over this country from North to South, from East to West, worked with many professors and professional people, many whose family was living in poverty.

The problem is “PEOPLE LIKE YOU”, and the slave society created here, that many see inviting for high profits. When in fact, we should be helping them to improve their quality of life.

And your lying doesn’t help……and your bullshit ever.

5. xx  November 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

JC,

Are you a communist?

6. xx  November 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

“I meet very few people in China who didn’t like communism?” What a liar….

7. xx  November 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

JC,

I spent 10 years in China, so you don’t give me the bullshit. Most live in poverty JC, I have worked with many government officials and University professors and have also been on military bases, working on other projects. One of the Project Managers, his Uncle was retired General. You are wrong, and were given a show.

I wonder why the world occupy movements are censored in China? I wonder why lots of information is censored in China.

Maybe you know JC? Or should I say clueless?

8. xx  November 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

Strange think JC,

Having worked in China for many years, and traveling back and forth to the US. I noticed something strange? The very same “laws” as implemented in China were also being implemented in the US as well. I guess supreme wealth and power is achieved when there is no middle earning people, that is observed as threat to the controllers of their system. I can give you a good educated guess, at the changes take place next?

In about 2005-6, the CCTV of Chinese News was placing pressure on Russian Officials because it only had about 2000 business and or manufacturing operations in China, whereas the United States had over 20,000.

Maybe the Russians are smarter then we are?

9. JC  November 22, 2011 at 8:14 am

Enough bullshit, I spend too much time in China. I meet very very few who ‘don’t like communism’, most are pretty proud of their country – some like and some dislike ‘americans’ although you abuse the term – I think USAn’s is better.

By the way, I have been on a Chinese army base and I spent a lot of time in a Chinese army staff car they were gracious enough to provide to us for personal use. The major – and the general – were and are just like any other soldiers.

Stop feeding noise into the system, you’ve been nailed once already on another article for this, and I won’t waste another response in this thread.

Cheers!

10. xx  November 22, 2011 at 7:58 am

Now,

The flip side on this coin, most Chinese people don’t like communism…including most University professors in this country. And the average Chinese person likes American people, However, most Chinese communist party members hate American people.

You don’t have to be that intelligent to understand why….systems.

11. xx  November 22, 2011 at 7:33 am

You want to see their military training, travel to Lanzhou (one area), but doubt you would be permitted. As in many military training groups, they have songs, and these songs are about their enemies.

What songs and enemy do you think are embedded in Chinese Military personnel? I know. So let’s pretend that isn’t true.

12. JC  November 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

xx (OS?)

I stated I couldn’t find the original article so I qualified that Zhu’s commentary was possibly a fake.

It is not a natural Chinese response to utter threats, howvever in my experience they are fiercely albeit very quietly nationalistic.

13. xx  November 21, 2011 at 9:26 am

JC,

You can stop passing the fake media comments about China, The Chinese Government doesn’t pass over more then a trillion dollars without making deals. Having extensive experience in this country, this is not negotiated in months, it would take several years. And likely planned in about 2006-7…..at secret meeting in Beijing.

14. xx  November 21, 2011 at 8:33 am

And understand, there are various methods used to weaken economies…open your mind.

15. xx  November 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

No need to comment, just do the homework….

16. xx  November 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

JC,

Do you understand global strategies? It’s a chess game. First there is the weakening of economies……then the changing of allies…..are you starting too understand the chess game? Take some time and study the changes being made, then research Coerced escalation, this can be used in many ways? Maybe related to the difference between an explosion and implosion, of course an explosion is outward directed force, as an implosion is inward directed force.

17. phillipmooney  November 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm

The chickens have come home to roost. How can we deny it, indeed.

18. xx  November 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Somewhat late are you,

My younger brothers spent their careers in the military, two of them retired. During wars and traveling abroad, one job is always in my head and that’s making certain they were protected and all our troops. I am addicted to this, sorry they come first. Having said that, let’s say 2007-08, in Beijing someone stopped me while traveling back to my apartment to sleep. I stopped at near by sandwich shop to get something to eat, when a gentleman followed me in, and starting talking. He was retired 20-25 year US Naval veteran contracted to oversee security at eight party talks, just across the street.

He spent about 20-25 minutes telling me how much he hated the United States, and he also trained Chinese Military personnel and had meetings with high ranking officers. Then he started explaining to me how they were going to get me, and it was boring as usual. He had knowledge I was whistle blower, and the only way to know was receiving this information from the top (in the United States). Not the people I was working with…..

Why was he contracted for this task, and why was he training Chinese military personnel?

I had 24 hour window..or could have taken about (6 months) and 20% change. Long route.

Your late JC…..very late, now rethink the coastal incident once again.

I know Gordon gets someone mad when I write these things. But in this situation you have three options…evade fast, evade slow alternative, or….I won’t say this or the comment will be erased. But that was another option, to buy some time. Maybe 48 hours.

19. JC  November 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Not just Russia, it has been reported that Zhu Chenghu was suggesting that China would use nuclear weapons should the US forcefully interfere in China/Taiwan relations or in the case of the US invading China. Unfortunately I could not find the original article so it could be scare mongering by Taiwan. What is even more interesting was the missile fired last year off the US west coast – an obvious warning by ‘somebody’ to ‘somebody’.

20. Allesandro  November 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm

If it’s true, the US has been using Nuclear Weapons for years, Bali, Oklahoma City, World Trade Centers, Saudi Towers, in IRAQ and possibly other sites, etc. then this whole question of Nuclear Weapons being “Forbidden” is a complete and utter farce. Did they think no one would find out, or that with their supposed strength no one could/would do anything about it.

I tend to think they did use them in all the above cases, and in several cases against their own citizens. So the threat is not from Russia, but from our own government.