A Shining Light Goes Out – Kaitlyn Rebstock 1990 – 2012

Death is inevitable but when it suddenly takes away a young shining light, as it did my granddaughter Kaitlyn through a tragic accident, it is an instant reminder that we are all put here a little time to sing our song and bear the beams of love:

by Allen L Roland

Death is a tall dark stranger ~ who always arrives when you least expect it.

Its cold forbidding presence rides on the chariot of the unknown.

However, beneath its ominous gray shroud beats an all encompassing heart for death is but a passage within a loving plan in action ~ a loving plan that exists beyond time and space ~ a flimsy curtain between our present reality and a state of soul consciousness ( the Unified Field ) that is hidden from us until we raise that curtain of fear.

Thus those who we love deeply not only live in our hearts but become part of us forever ~ as my late granddaughter Kaitlyn most certainly lives in my heart.

When I first heard last week of her tragic accidental death from my tearful son ~ I felt as if a light had just gone out in the small galaxy of my loved ones ~ and at only 22 years old.

I really did not know her that well for she was born in 1990 in Washington state and after my daughter went through a painful divorce ~ she lived with her dad’s family in the Spokane area.

I saw her less than five times in her brief time on this planet but I was always touched by her radiant spirit and light. The Tri-city Herald reaffirmed this spirit in their news story last week ;  “ Current and former members of the Heatwave Dance Team at Southridge High School gathered Tuesday to remember one of their own who was killed in an accident in Spokane.

Southridge dance coach Liz Stiles said Kaitlyn Rebstock was a talented dancer and passionate leader who touched two generations of the team ~ through her own participation from 2004-08 and more recently when one of her younger sisters joined the team.

Rebstock, 22, died early Tuesday, and by afternoon, word spread to classmates and friends who came to the school to share their memories and their loss.

“A lot of the kids (from her class) are back from college and they all wanted to be together,” Stiles told the Herald. “She impacted so many people.”

Spokane police said it appeared Rebstock returned home from work about midnight and parked her car at the top of a steep driveway.

Police believe the car rolled backward and Rebstock was pinned underneath when she tried to stop it.

She died at the scene, said the Spokane Medical Examiner’s Office.

Rebstock graduated from Southridge in 2008 and made the honor roll several times, Herald archives showed.

She was a member of the Heatwave Dance Team, which won a state dance title as well as  the 3A Division Hip Hop Dance title while Rebstock was on the team.

Her mother, Wendy White, and grandmother, Patty White, run The Dance Class studio in Richland.

Stiles said Rebstock was a leader who inspired and motivated her teammates and was well-loved by classmates.

“She was a beautiful girl. This is an incredible loss,” Stiles said. “From 2004 to now, she has been a part of the school. That’s a lot of Southridge students connected to her. She was an extremely talented, kind, giving girl.”

Kaitlyn was a dancer and when she danced she became a transcendent star whose light touched everyone ~ she was obviously singing and celebrating her own song.

In that regard, we all have a song to sing and eventually true happiness is defined by whether you are singing your own song or someone else’s song.

Most people die with their music still locked up inside them because they never said yes to themselves or allowed themselves to be controlled by fear ~ but Kaitlyn was obviously saying yes to herself.

Singing and celebrating your own song is the ultimate act of love for in singing your own song you become part of a divine chorus which has been patiently waiting for your part ~ and, in so doing, you’re in service from a place of celebration.

Kaitlyn said yes to herself, sang and celebrated her song and made a difference before she unexpectedly and tragically passed on ~ but I’m sure she is now dancing her hip hop and spreading her magic in a much larger universal stage. For she is now fully in a state of soul consciousness, that exists beyond time and space, and in a profound deep personal way I feel even closer to her.

In that spirit ~ here’s a two minute video of Kaitlyn performing with the Heat wave crazy legs dance team at their homecoming game in 2010.

About the Author: Allen L Roland is a Freelance Alternative Press Online columnist. He is also a practicing psychotherapist, author and lecturer who also shares a daily political and social commentary on his web site at AllenRoland.com. He also guest hosts a Truthtalk, a national radio show that airs monthly. He is available for comments, interviews, speaking engagements and private consultations via email at [email protected].

Posted by on June 16, 2012, With Reads Filed under Life, Veterans. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to "A Shining Light Goes Out – Kaitlyn Rebstock 1990 – 2012"

1. xx  June 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Roland,

I am sorry for your granddaughters death, I lost one son several years ago. I am sure she is in a good place, I am sure.

2. Angus Alexander MacLeod  June 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm

At least her beautiful soul will be spared the severe trials that appear to be coming for the rest of us soon. My heart goes out to you and her family, Allen. I lost my beautiful big sister 34 years ago at her tender age of 27 in an auto accident that was similarly senseless and preventable, and have missed her inspiring presence very single day since. My own life has been sure proof that “only the good die young,” but I have taken from my sister’s kind, gentle and selfless example that every day, every moment is a golden opportunity for each of us to become that better person we all should be and to give back for all that we have been given. May your beautiful granddaughter always shine down on you with the same aura of inspiration…

3. Angus Alexander MacLeod  June 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm

At least her beautiful soul will be spared the severe trials that appear to be coming for the rest of us soon. My heart goes out to you and her family, Allen. I lost my beautiful big sister 34 years ago at her tender age of 27 in an auto accident that was similarly senseless and preventable, and have missed her inssiring presence very single day since. My own life has been sure proof that “only the good die young,” but I have taken from my sister’s kind, gentle and selfless example that every day, every moment is a golden opportunity for each of us to become that better person we all should be and to give back for all that we have been given. May your beautiful granddaughter always shine down on you with the same aura of inspiration…

4. Ann  June 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Requiescat in Pace, Kaitlyn.

I am so sorry for your loss, Allen. I hope the memories of Kaitlyn’s joy and love sustain all of you at this difficult time.

5. lola  June 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm

In my medical practice I see a lot of loss and yes, there are times when it seems that there is a time to go, yet I believe there are still accidents and those who did not plan to leave quite yet. There is a loving plan of action if not a loving action plan. My soul goes out to her and her family. Always difficult for those left behind.
    In Light
    tld

• DaveE  June 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Those moving on to their next assignment teach those who they leave behind, too. My deepest sympathies for your loss, Allen. It seems your granddaughter died with honor, trying to stop an ugly situation from becoming uglier, an out of control car which could have harmed many. That’s the most noble of departing acts, trying to save others.

We’re all gonna die. Period. Be proud of your grandaughter. I’m sure you are, but know that she died in defense of selfless honor and I’m pretty sure she lived the same way, as well.

6. Fed Up  June 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My deepest sympathies and condolences go to you, your family and friends. It’s always so hard to lose a loved one, no matter what age they are. She is still dancing and smiling but in a different dimension. You can be grateful that she was in your life and brought you much joy and happiness.

7. Mike Kay  June 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

Mr. Roland,
    I have a good friend, combat infantry from Nam, who once told me, without any explanation, that he understood why some live and some die.
    In any case, sincere condolences.

• Allen L Roland  June 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks, Mike ~ the best explanation I have heard is that they are needed somewhere else.

8. Jacqui75  June 16, 2012 at 10:07 pm

“Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.” – Rumi
    That Field that Rumi knows so well is a Unified Field of love and soul consciousness that exists not only beyond time and space but also deepest within ourselves. And gratitude is the lifeblood of that state of consciousness.

Thankyou Allen