1. Urgent Reminder: Deadline at Midnight January 27 to Enroll in VA Health Care
In January 2008 Congress increased Combat Veteran benefits by extending the period of enhanced health care enrollment eligibility from two to five years post discharge for Veterans who served in the theater of operations during a period of war after the Persian Gulf War, or in combat against a hostile force during a period of hostilities after November 11, 1998.
2. Help for homeless vets. Cherry Hill Courier Post Veterans Haven, operated by the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, is the only one of its kind in the state serving veterans.
Gangsters, Veterans and Sec Shinseki—For three years, there have been demonstrations in West Los Angeles every week over land deeded to veterans after the Civil War, now worth billions, being “picked apart” by powerful groups while some 20,000 homeless veterans are excluded by the application of unrestrained and unauthorized use of police resources acting in the interests of a cabal of powerful developers, bankers, insurance industry executives and members of congress.
Ending the homeless Veteran problem, as we know it—After three years of battling VA bureaucrats, a wealthy homeowner group, and politicians over the abuse and misappropriation of Veterans’ property, a veterans’ group, Veterans Revolution, says it has a solution to the homeless Veteran problem in Los Angeles County.
3. White House Aims to Help Military Families – ABC News.New York Times (blog)White House Aims to Help Military FamiliesABC NewsThe government-wide effort will give military families “a seat at the table, not just at the White House or at the Pentagon or at the VA [Veterans Affairs] …Obama Announces ‘Unprecedented Commitment’ to Military FamiliesDepartment of DefenseObama announces 50 new programs for military familiesRapid City JournalPresidential Initiative Supports Military FamiliesFavStocksNational Journal -The White House (blog)
4. VA Joins White House in Reaching to Military Families By Tammy Duckworth January 24, 2011 VA Assistant Secretary for Public and Intergovernmental Affairs. War takes a toll on families. Therefore, to ensure the families of service members and Veterans have programs that meet their needs, the Department of Veterans Affairs has joined the White House and other federal agencies to strengthen services for family members.
5. Outstanding alumni, Tammy Duckworth, brings high honor to UH.Hawaii 24/7 Duckworth was director of the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs from 2006–2008. She has testified on veterans’ issues several times before Congress,
6. Wisconsin vets seek to remain in spotlight. Sauk Prairie Eagle Ed Zagorski / News Republic Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Kenneth B. Black kept his message simple Sunday when he spoke at the state’s
7. Acting W.Va. gov seeks boost to veterans office.Charleston Gazette Earl Ray Tomblin wants the Division of Veterans’ Affairs to become the Department of Veteran’s Assistance. The Senate version of his bill was introduced
8. Bill in Texas Legislature would exempt veterans’ surviving spouses, children. Fort Worth Star Telegram Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, a member of the Veteran Affairs & Military Installations Committee, said the bill mirrors many of the federal policies that
9. Skin in the Game. bestofneworleans.com According to guidelines set down by the US Department of Veterans Affairs, “If the veteran receives any health benefits from the VA or one of its facilities
10 East Orange VA clinic to be part of new patient-centered model of care. Examiner.com
The US Department of Veterans Affairs announced last week that it’s adopting a new model of care for its patients and the VA medical facility in East Orange
– Via the VA for several pieces