It is a well known fact that Mexico is the number one retirement destination for U.S. Veterans outside of the USA by far with the vast majority living in the greater Guadalajara area specifically in Ajijic on Lake Chapala.
Lake Chapala, Mexico nestled in a mountain valley just 50 minutes south of Guadalajara and 25 minutes from the international airport, is the largest inland body of water in Mexico. It is 90 km long and 20 km wide and is situated on the border between the states of Jalisco and Michoacan and approximately a 3 ½ hour drive from the Pacific ocean.
Lake Chapala Mexico has become a retirement paradise for Americans, Canadians, and Europeans; people from all over the world come to enjoy the warm days and cool nights along the shores of our beautiful lake. Crimson sunrises and golden sunsets serve to heighten their enjoyment of each majestic day.
Lake Chapala has been the number one destination for U.S. Veterans since World War II when GI’s starting moving into the lake basin setting up homesteads, shops, businesses, and even the Lake Chapala Society along with a branch of the American Legion. There are so many reasons to move to Lake Chapala and Mexico, here’s a top 10 list for you.
Top 10 reasons: Why so many people choose Ajijic, Lake Chapala, Mexico!
- Near-perfect weather – little or no humidity, average temperature 78 F (25.5 C) – year ‘round.
- A safe and secure environment.
- Accessibility – international airport 30 minutes away, making travel easy.
- Established infrastructure. Many of the conveniences you are used to are available in Chapala and everything you want, in Guadalajara (2nd largest city) a scant 50 minute drive.
- Excellent communications: phone, high-speed internet, satellite TV, news and information from home
- High quality health care, and pharmacies, with many bilingual professionals trained in the US or Canada.
- Lower cost of living – estimated to be at least 30% lower if not more than is most of the USA
- English spoken – you can get by without Spanish, although it is fun to learn at least a little.
- Stunning beauty, rich culture and history, breathtaking sunsets over the lake, and majestic mountain views.
- Beautiful and unique homes – still offering great value (you get a lot for your money).
So many others reasons to retire and live in Lake Chapala include a diverse cultural experience where you’ll meet up with intellectuals, artists, educators, lawyers, doctors, judges, and so many more super interesting people is such a small village.
Just join a civic group or sit in at a local cafe and you’ll hook up fast. This is not a resort town its’ a place to live and enjoy so the locals are permanent not transient. You love it. It’s amazing, fun, and everyday brings a new surprise. Exhilirating!
So if you are ready for a whole new lease on life, your invited to experience their little pocket of paradise in Lake Chapala Mexico. Join Focus on Mexico on their 8-Day Educational Focus on Mexico program for a life changing experience.