WASHINGTON – Six new members have been appointed to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Advisory Committee on Women Veterans, an expert panel that advises VA on issues and programs affecting women Veterans.
“The Advisory Committee on Women Veterans’ significantly guides VA’s efforts to identify and address the ever changing needs of women Veterans,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki. “VA welcomes the newest members.”
Established in 1983, the advisory committee makes recommendations to the Secretary for administrative and legislative changes. The new committee members, who are appointed to two-year terms, are: Sherri Brown, Alexandria, Va.; Latoya Lucas, Rocky Mount, N.C.; Sara J. McVicker, Washington, D.C.; Delphine Metcalf-Foster, Vallejo, Calif.; Robin Patrick, Virginia Beach, Va.; and Felipe Torres, Helotes, Texas.
“Women serving in the military are essential components of our Nation’s success,” Shinseki added. “In honor of their service, VA’s is committed to providing women Veterans with quality care and preparing for their evolving needs.”
Women Veterans are one of the fastest growing segments of the Veterans population. There are 23.4 million Veterans; approximately 1.8 million are women Veterans. They comprise nearly 8 percent of the total Veterans population and nearly 5 percent of all Veterans who use VA health care services.
VA estimates that by 2020 women Veterans will comprise 10 percent of the Veteran population. VA has women Veterans program managers at VA medical centers and women Veterans coordinators at VA regional offices to assist women Veterans with health and benefits issues.
New Members VA Advisory Committee on Women Veterans
- Sherri Brown, Alexandria, Va. A Veteran of the Coast Guard Reserves; currently serves as Senior Vice President for Service to the Armed Forces for the American Red Cross.
- Latoya Lucas, Rocky Mount, N.C. A retired Army specialist, with combat service in Iraq; currently works as a motivational speaker.
- Sara J. McVicker, Washington, D.C. A former Army Corps nurse, with service in Vietnam; currently serves as a member of Vietnam Veterans of America’s National Women Veterans Committee.
- Delphine Metcalf-Foster, Vallejo, Calif. A retired Army first sergeant, with service in Desert Storm/Desert Shield; currently serves as a member of Disabled American Veterans’ Department of California Women’s Committee.
- Robin Patrick, Virginia Beach, Va. A Veteran of the U.S. Navy and Army National Guard; currently serves as a Veterans’ advocate for women Veterans, homeless Veterans, disabled adults, and families.
- Felipe Torres, Helotes, Texas. A retired Marine Corps colonel, with service in Vietnam; currently serves as a women Veterans advocate.
We See The World From All Sides and Want YOU To Be Fully InformedIn fact, intentional disinformation is a disgraceful scourge in media today. So to assuage any possible errant incorrect information posted herein, we strongly encourage you to seek corroboration from other non-VT sources before forming educated opinion. In addition, to get a clear comprehension of VT's independent non-censored media, please read our Policies and Disclosures.
Due to the nature of uncensored content posted by VT's fully independent international writers, VT cannot guarantee absolute validity. All content is owned by the author exclusively. Expressed opinions are NOT necessarily the views of VT, other authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners, or technicians. Some content may be satirical in nature. All images are the full responsibility of the article author and NOT VT. About VT - Comment Policy