Veterans! Here’s your Top 10 News stories of the day compiled from the latest sources
We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need
1. Thousands of veterans flock to Detroit for hiring fair at Cobo. Detroit Free Press The job fair got under way Tuesday, and, according to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs official Mary Santiago, it’s “the largest hiring event that the VA has …
2. San Diego neighbors oppose veterans treatment center. A plan for a 40-bed treatment center in San Diego for military veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury has run into opposition from neighborhood groups and a nearby charter school.
3. Making sure military ballots are counted is project’s priority. Tens of thousands of military servicemembers attempting to vote by absentee ballot in recent years haven’t had their votes counted because of various problems with the system, according to authorities that track voter participation. The Military Voter Protection Project is promoting efforts to ensure that the votes of all military members are counted.
4. Trucking companies scramble to find enough workers. Despite a national unemployment rate topping eight percent, trucking companies are struggling to recruit and retain enough drivers due to a host of factors. But a North Carolina trucking academy reports an enrollment spike thanks to a new Department of Veterans Affairs policy that pays upfront the cost of driver training school for returning military veterans.
5. Korean man recognized for failed effort to rescue trapped GIs during war. Kim Je Kwon remembers huddling with her family inside a dark tunnel in war-ridden Korea more than six decades ago and crying as her father left. It was the last time she saw her father, Kim Jae Hyun, who was killed as he drove a train through enemy lines to Daejeon in an attempt to rescue U.S. troops.
6. New Law Allows Veteran Designation on South Dakota Driver License. Chamberlain Oacoma Sun … Departments of Public Safety and Veterans Affairs remind military veterans that … July 1 allows them to have a veteran designation on their state-issued driver …
7. New Mental Health Center at VA Palo Alto Health Care System Opens. Business Wire The Department of Veterans Affairs Under Secretary for Health, Dr. Robert Petzel joined Veterans, staff and congressional representatives on June 22
8. Bill proposed to change PTSD military programs. TheNewsTribune.com U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., on Monday submitted legislation that would … programs in the Defense Department and the Department of Veterans Affairs …
9. Nation’s Largest Veterans Job Fair Headed To Detroit This Week. Grand Rapids (MI) Press “Thousands of veterans from throughout the country are converging in Detroit for a veterans job fair, small business conference and open house.” The US Department of Veterans Affairs “expects up to 11,000 veterans to attend its free VA for Vets Hiring Fair from Tuesday through Thursday at the Cobo Center in Detroit.” This hiring fair, VA’s “largest-ever,” will take place in “in conjunction with a Veteran Open House and National Veteran Small Business Conference and Expo.” Mike Walcoff, events coordinator for the hiring fair, small business conference and open house, said, “If you come down to Cobo and give us a day of your time, we think that you’ll learn things, whether it be at the small business conference, the open house or hopefully through your contacts at the hiring fair, that will benefit you the rest of your life.” AP “The National Veteran Small Business Conference and Expo takes place Tuesday through Friday” at the Cobo Center in downtown Detroit. At the same location, there will also be a benefits open house for vets a VA For Vets Hiring Fair that “will offer the chance at thousands of private sector or government jobs. The events are sponsored” by the US VA.
10. Two Organizations Offering Free Transportation To Hiring Fair. WYBR-FM “Ferris State University along with Michigan Works! West-Central are offering free charter bus service to Detroit for a Veteran Hiring Fair and open house hosted by the Department of Veterans Affairs Wednesday at COBO Center. Michelle Herron, Business Services Director with Michigan Works! West Central says” the fair will link veterans with companies that are hiring, and will help veterans “translate their military skills into workplace skills that employers can relate to.”
Have You Heard?
Hiring Fair in Full Swing
The VA for Vets Hiring Event started Tuesday in Detroit. June 26-28 the COBO Center will host employers from all over the country who have jobs for Vets. Learn more.
ATTENTION READERSWe See The World From All Sides and Want YOU To Be Fully Informed
In fact, intentional disinformation is a disgraceful scourge in media today. So to assuage any possible errant incorrect information posted herein, we strongly encourage you to seek corroboration from other non-VT sources before forming an educated opinion.
About VT - Policies & Disclosures - Comment Policy