Since I’m approaching 80 and probably living on borrowed time, it’s time to write my Living Will ~ inspired of course by the irrepressible Paul Rudnick of the New Yorker
MY LIVING WILL / ALLEN L ROLAND
1. If I should remain in a persistent vegetative state for more than 30 days, I would like someone to pay my rent.
2. If I do not respond to pinches, pinpricks, rubber mallets, electric shock or other medical stimuli, please don’t take it personally.
3. If my death is particularly dramatic and worthy of a movie ~ I would like to be played by Javier Bardem.
4. If my doctor pronounces me brain-dead, I would like to see the new Adam Sandler movie.
5. If there is a family dispute over my medical condition, it must be settled with a boxing match.
6. I do not wish to be kept alive by any machine that has a 5,10 or 20 dollar change setting.
7. In lieu of flowers or donations, I would prefer a fireworks show.
8. Assume that, even in a coma, I can still hear discussions about my life, my loves and my struggles.
9. If I remain motionless for an extended period and utter only guttural, meaningless sounds, I would like it set to music and submitted for an Emmy.
10. At my memorial service, I would like my clergyman to begin his eulogy with the words “I suppose, in a way, we all misunderstood him.”
It’s very healthy to laugh at death particularly because it’s inevitable and it’s really just another chapter here on earth which may or may not have a sequel ~ dependent on whether we denied or surrendered to love.
About the Author: Allen L Roland is a Freelance Alternative Press Online columnist. He is also a practicing psychotherapist, author and lecturer who also shares a daily political and social commentary on his web site at AllenRoland.com. He also guest hosts a Truthtalk, a national radio show that airs monthly. He is available for comments, interviews, speaking engagements and private consultations via email at [email protected].
Allen L Roland, PhD is a Freelance Alternative Press Online columnist. He is also a heart centered spiritual consultant, author and lecturer who also shares a weekly political and social commentary on his web site at AllenRoland.com. He also guest hosts Truthtalk, a national radio show that airs monthly. He is available for comments, interviews, speaking engagements as well as private consultations via email at [email protected].
Roland is a twin who was born in Boston, Massachusetts, survived a dysfunctional family, pursued and lived his dreams, including becoming a Navy supersonic carrier pilot, finding himself by fully opening his heart, writing three books, siring four children ~ and is still living his ultimate dream by making a difference from a place of love, celebration and service.
His Ph.D dissertation THE UNIFIED FIELD was chosen by Common Boundary and Noetic Science Institute, in their 1998 national dissertation contest, as one of the top three finalists for combining spirituality and psychology. His ongoing heart centered work as a consultant with veterans with PTSD, is the most satisfying work of his life. Allen’s online newsletter, columns and radio broadcasts are committed to the truth ~ as he sees it ~ for only the truth is revolutionary.