Veterans! Here’s your Top 10 News stories of the day compiled from the latest sources
We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need
1. 10th Anniversary Of Iraq, Afghanistan War Memorial Approaching. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/06/06/10th-anniversary-of-iraq-afghanistan-war-memorial-approaching/ June 15 marks the 10th anniversary of the Middle East Conflicts Wall Memorial on the Illinois River in Marseilles. There will be a motorcycle ride from the Grundy County Fairgounds on that day, and a ceremony at the memorial. It’s the war memorial that most people don’t even know exists, even after ten years. It bears the names of more than 7,000 …
2. At Senate hearing, military health care gets scrutiny. For a fleeting moment, at least, lawmakers seemed to be coming around to the idea that the Pentagon benefits system has its limits.
3. Senators propose 1% pay raise, new sexual assault measures in defense bill. Troops would get a 1 percent pay raise next year, Tricare users’ health care expenses would hold steady, and military prosecutions of sexual assault and other serious crimes would change dramatically under draft legislation proposed by senators on Tuesday.
4. Americans in Bahrain warned of virus. The U.S. Embassy has warned Americans in Bahrain about the threat of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus.
5. Wounded warrior leads others through the ‘roughest patch’. Connor Moore endured nine blasts from improvised explosive devices while serving in Afghanistan. Now, he serves as a volunteer peer mentor with the nonprofit Wounded Warrior Project to help other veterans.
6. Learn about PTSD and help us help its victims. Hyperlink to Story Albuquerque Journal: June is PTSD Awareness Month. The National Center for PTSD, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, continually promotes public awareness and understanding of PTSD… In June we ask everyone else to join our efforts… Our campaign theme this year is “Take the Step,” …
7. Sanders to lead hearing on military sex assaults. Hyperlink to Story Boston Globe (AP): U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders is set to lead a hearing this week on the effects of sexual assaults on veterans while in the military… Sanders says his committee will hold a hearing Wednesday on legislation calling on the Veterans Administration to update regulations on disability compensation for veterans who have mental health conditions resulting from being sexually attacked while in the service.
8. Military sexual trauma captures the spotlight / Atlanta VA says sexual traumas have doubled. Hyperlink to Story Atlanta Journal-Constitution: At least once a day, on average, Atlanta’s Veterans Administration Medical Center is alerted to another case of a woman in mental and emotional pain because she was raped, groped or sexually harassed by someone else in the military.
9. Research focuses on vets’ brain injuries. Hyperlink to Story Columbus Dispatch: The research — to include 25 men injured in service and 25 of their brothers or other close male relatives — is being conducted by Dr. Michael Lipton, associate director of the Gruss Magnetic Resonance Research Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
10.A Veterans Program Slams Into Roadblocks. Hyperlink to Story The New York Times: Veterans Affairs does not lend money but guarantees a portion of a veteran’s loan, even with no down payment. But the department will offer guarantees on loans only up to a certain amount, about