Veterans! Here’s your Top 10 News stories of the day compiled from the latest sources
We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need
1. ND Veterans Cemetery receives national award. DVIDS The U.S Department of Department of Veterans Affairs’ … strive to provide a variety of news related to all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces
2. IRSC joins national initiative to support veterans. TCPalm Endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Education, Veterans Affairs and Defense, the “Keys to Facilitating Veteran’s Success on Campus,” encourages colleges to
3. Manning sentenced to 35 years in WikiLeaks case. Army Pfc. Bradley Manning was sentenced Wednesday to 35 years in prison for giving hundreds of thousands of secret military and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks in one of the nation’s biggest leak cases since the Pentagon Papers more than a generation ago.
4. Iraq vets join ranks of Va’s rising craft beer biz . Two Iraq War veterans eager to slake a growing American thirst for craft beer are setting up a brewery less than a mile from the main runway for the Navy’s East Coast master jet base. Their beers have names like “Jet Noise Double IPA and “Pineapple Grenade Hefeweizen.” And their motto strikes a military chord: “Brewing With the Freedom We Fought For.”
5. Army, Navy target top brass, headquarters spending in latest cuts. With a warning that “the money is gone,” military leaders driven by falling defense spending are moving to cut top brass positions and slash headquarters spending.
6. VA and HUD announce funding for homeless veterans. Hyperlink to Article Washington Post: The departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development announced $7.8 million in funding Tuesday that the agencies say will provide housing and clinical services for 1,120 homeless veterans.
7. Female Vets Have Tougher Time Finding Work. Hyperlink to Video WBOC-TV: Female veterans have a tougher time getting a job than their male counterparts. That’s according to a new jobs report.
8. Veterans Corner: VA grants retroactive benefits for FDC. Hyperlink to Article Selma Enterprise: Veterans filing an original Fully Developed Claim (FDC) for service-connected disability compensation may be entitled to up to one year of retroactive disability benefits, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
9. VA Still Under Pressure To Reduce Disability Claim Backlog. Hyperlink to Article NPR (Audio): A veterans group handed the White House a petition to take action on the “million veteran backlog” on Tuesday. But the Veterans Administration says that backlogged claims are dropping for the fifth month in a row and are now under half a million.
10. Veterans Affairs certifies W&M’s Puller clinic. Hyperlink to Article Virginia Gazette: U.S. Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-VA) joined U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki Wednesday in announcing that William and Mary Law School’s Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic has been certified as a national “best practice” program.
Have You Heard?
National Immunization Awareness Month is a reminder that people of all ages can protect their health by getting recommended vaccinations. Take a look at immunization schedules by age: