Get Statistics about Employee Engagement in Business Management


Do your employees dread going to work in the morning? Despite the nation’s unemployment rate, or perhaps because of it, more and more people are slogging through their workdays without taking any pride or joy in the process. Here are a few surprising statistics about employee engagement.

1: Only A Third of Employees Care

45 percent of workers report being disengaged in their jobs. Even more discouraging, 26 percent admit to being actively disengaged. That’s a total of 71 percent of the working population who are only bothering to clock in to secure their paychecks.

2: People Are Resigning in Droves

When these depressed, disillusioned workers can’t take it anymore, they leave: More than 2 million Americans quit their job each month. Even those who stay are struggling with the temptation of greener pastures, with 84 percent describing themselves as “interested” in changing careers. In total, more than $11 billion is lost annually from employee turnover.

3: Happiness is Money

You probably know, of course, that happy, productive employees mean better business. But do you realize just how much money you’re losing with a disengaged employee? One study puts the numbers at $2000 lost for every 10 percent drop in engagement. That’s per worker.

4: No One is On Your Side

Everyone’s seen the Marina Shifrin video, the one where a woman quits her job by filming an elaborate dance routine around the office and then uploading the whole thing to YouTube. The company responded with good humor, making their own dance video to show how great their working environment really was, but the Internet didn’t care. The truth is that the boss is always going to be the bad guy: 80 percent of disengaged workers blamed their manager.

5: Recognition is Half the Battle

In a recent poll to determine why so many Americans are keen to leave their offices behind, 43 percent reported that a lack of recognition was one of the deciding factors in their unhappiness. Internal politics made up another 35 percent and a lack of personal empowerment brought up the rear with 33 percent.

6: Your Managers Aren’t Doing Their Jobs

90 percent of corporate leaders agree that employee engagement is important, yet only 75 percent have an active strategy for making it happen. This discrepancy probably accounts for the 70 percent of workers who lack confidence in senior management. If you’re interested in turning the tables and improving your employee engagement, you’ll have to start from the top and work your way down: Check out sites like Domo ( to learn more.

Due to the nature of independent content, VT cannot guarantee content validity.
We ask you to Read Our Content Policy so a clear comprehension of VT's independent non-censored media is understood and given its proper place in the world of news, opinion and media.

All content is owned by author exclusively. Expressed opinions are NOT necessarily the views of VT, other authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners or technicians. Some content may be satirical in nature. All images within are full responsibility of author and NOT VT.

About VT - Read Full Policy Notice - Comment Policy