The seasonal flu vaccine is available at the Wilmington VA Medical Center and the Ventnor, Vineland, Cape May, Dover and Georgetown clinics. The vaccine clinic schedule is available at www.wilmington.va.gov. All eligible military Veterans are encouraged to get a free influenza vaccination. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that you get the seasonal flu vaccine as soon as the vaccine becomes available in your community.
Veterans enrolled in the Delaware & Southern New Jersey Healthcare System can get free flu shots at the following VA walk-in clinics:
- September 29, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- October 1, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. ** Special Drive-Thru @ the West Entrance
- October 6, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- October 12, 2011 – 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- October 13, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- October 20, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- November 10, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- November 18, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- December 1, 2011 – 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
As an added convenience, we will be offering a Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic for enrolled Veterans. Get your flu shot without leaving your car!
October 1, 2011 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Enrolled Veterans should bring their VA identification card to the Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic to expedite the process.
Starting October 3, come to any scheduled appointment or stop in at your Primary Care Team any time during the day and receive your flu shot. NOTE: Walk-ins may have a short wait. You can also go to any Community Based Outpatient Clinic during the hours below:
- Vineland CBOC – Monday/Wednesday – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. AND 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Ventnor CBOC – Wednesday – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Cape May CBOC – Wednesday – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Dover CBOC – Friday – 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Georgetown CBOC – Friday – 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Vaccination is especially important for people with chronic health conditions such as asthma, kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, chronic bronchitis, a weakened immune system, and HIV. Besides these groups, the VA also recommends that all Veterans age 50 or older receive the vaccine. The influenza virus changes every year, so it is important to get a flu shot every year.