The population of women Veterans is growing rapidly and is expected to increase within the next decade. In recognizing the trend, VA North Texas is making strides by advancing and improving the delivery of health care to women Veterans.
Here is a short list of what is available:
- Full range of preventive care and treatment including mammography, gynecological care/surgery and maternity referral
- Patient Aligned Care Teams at primary care locations, which offers increased communication between women Veterans and their doctor
- Comprehensive care at outpatient clinics
- Menopause treatment including hormonal therapy if appropriate
- Family planning and contraceptive care
- Support and recovery groups for PTSD and military sexual trauma
- Annual health campaign events such as Women & Heart Symposium and Cancer Awareness
- Tele-mental Health at remote locations
- Design upgrades and modifications to beautify areas, ensure privacy, dignity and safety in various areas like mammography, exam rooms, restrooms, inpatient rooms
In addition to the services available at facilities and clinics, the Women’s Health program staff initiates policy changes and advocate on behalf of women Veterans. Their efforts help to facilitate and promote cultural changes, such as a Veteran’s right to have a chaperone or family member accompany them to their appointments or exams. The Women’s Health Program staff also works to establish and sustain collaborative relationships with external organizations and agencies that benefit women Veterans. Some of those organizations include Grace After Fire, American Legion, the Department of Labor and the Department of Health and Human Services.
Doctors and other health care providers attend annual gender-specific training on women’s health which helps to foster proficiency in the services provided to women Veterans. Mental Health conducts research to examine more efficient methods of treating PTSD and military sexual trauma in women Veterans.
For more information on women’s health, visit www.northtexas.va.gov/services/women.asp.
ATTENTION READERSWe See The World From All Sides and Want YOU To Be Fully Informed
In fact, intentional disinformation is a disgraceful scourge in media today. So to assuage any possible errant incorrect information posted herein, we strongly encourage you to seek corroboration from other non-VT sources before forming an educated opinion.
About VT - Policies & Disclosures - Comment Policy