Veterans! Here’s your Top 10 News stories of the day compiled from the latest sources
We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need
1.Sailors Missing From Vietnam War Identified. The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) announced today that a Navy pilot, missing from the Vietnam War, has been accounted for and will be buried with full military honors along with his crew. Navy Lt….
2. Outraged lawmakers look to change military justice. Outrage over an Air Force officer’s decision to overturn a jury’s guilty verdict in a sexual assault case has Republicans and Democrats joining forces on ambitious legislation to change the military justice system.
3. White House says veterans jobs program has exceeded goal. First lady Michelle Obama announced Tuesday that companies participating in a program to help veterans find work have hired or trained 290,000 veterans and military spouses since August 2011, nearly tripling the original goal of the program with about eight months to spare.
4. Nearing Afghanistan exit, US second-in-command sounds caution. After three tours in Afghanistan, the departing U.S. second-in-command for the country stayed on message but sounded a note of caution at a farewell news conference Tuesday.
5. Odierno: Army not training for Syria, but could be ready if needed. As the suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria threatens to drag the U.S. into another conflict in the Middle East, the Army’s chief of staff said Tuesday the service wasn’t training troops for conflict with Syria.
6.Any Time, Anywhere’ Data Access Coming Soon, Official Says. In the not-too-distant future, Defense Department personnel will be able to securely access data any time and anywhere, the
7. US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Recognized for Significant Innovation … Financial Post Acknowledging public organizations that achieve success using Microsoft Dynamics, the award was given to the VA due to their impact in improving case management and care coordination for Service Members and Veterans. Using a highly customized
8. Nevada office working on fixing veterans claim backlog. Nevada Appeal Simply put, the backlog consists of the numerous claims made by veterans that are awaiting review and rating by the federal Department of Veterans Affairs. These claims could be delayed for one of many reasons, including the requirement for more …
9.VA’s No. 2 official, Scott Gould, leaving agency. Hyperlink to Story The Washington Examiner: The No. 2 official at the Department of Veterans Affairs is leaving, the agency announced today.
10.White House Announces IT Cert Program for Vets. Hyperlink to Story Military.com: The White House on Monday announced a public-private partnership that the Obama administration said will put more than 100,000 veterans to work in the information technology sector over the next seven years.
Have You Heard?
Providing Assistance for Homeless Veterans; In 2009, President Obama and VA Secretary Shinseki announced the goal of ending Veteran homelessness by the end of 2015. Together with partners and supporters nationwide, VA is determined to meet that challenge through the Homeless Veterans Outreach Initiative. As … Read More →