(Florida) – When I was a novice reporter six years ago, I learned that it was at the end of the interview that you heard the beginning of the story and I learned it again the other day. Case in point: I was writing my first work of fiction in 2005 when I stumbled into becoming a reporter and that lead to becoming the only reporter in the world who bothered to document Mordechai Vanunu’s Freedom of Speech trial in Israel.
Because I love America enough to stand up and speak the hard truths I had no choice but to persist to report what Vanunu told me in June 2005:
- Did you know that President Kennedy tried to stop Israel from building atomic weapons? In 1963, he forced Prime Minister Ben Guirion to admit the Dimona was not a textile plant, as the sign outside proclaimed, but a nuclear plant. The Prime Minister said, ‘The nuclear reactor is only for peace.’
- Kennedy insisted on an open internal inspection. He wrote letters demanding that Ben Guirion open up the Dimona for inspection.
- The French were responsible for the actual building of the Dimona. The Germans gave the money; they were feeling guilty for the Holocaust, and tried to pay their way out. Everything inside was written in French, when I was there, almost twenty years ago. Back then, the Dimona descended seven floors underground.
- In 1955, Perez and Guirion met with the French to agree they would get a nuclear reactor if they fought against Egypt to control the Sinai and Suez Canal. That was the war of 1956. Eisenhower demanded that Israel leave the Sinai, but the reactor plant deal continued on.
- When Johnson became president, he made an agreement with Israel that two senators would come every year to inspect. Before the senators would visit, the Israelis would build a wall to block the underground elevators and stairways. From 1963 to ’69, the senators came, but they never knew about the wall that hid the rest of the Dimona from them.
- Nixon stopped the inspections and agreed to ignore the situation. As a result, Israel increased production. In 1986, there were over two hundred bombs. Today, they may have enough plutonium for ten bombs a year.”
Nobody but Israel knows how many more stories underground the Dimona may go, and because nobody in the USA Government is talking about that-that is ONE reason why I have become a candidate for U.S. House of Representatives for 2012.
As Marcus Gardner, the creator of “Cindy’s Secret” (see image to right) an rendering that Vanunu hung in his room at St. Georges Cathedral from 2004-2007, wrote “The world’s apathy/indifference to Vanunu is fuel to press on… it’s rather difficult to explain how it feels when you create an image by some one’s actions/injustice and for them to go and hang it up on their wall. I guess that must be the ‘essence’ of knowing you are onto something.”
Knowing one is onto something is exactly how I felt after stumbling into being the only reporter in the world to document Vanunu’s FREEDOM of SPEECH Trial in Israel as it unfolded, beginning on the day Hamas was democratically elected in January 2006.
Just a few weeks after his trial began, Vanunu sent this message to Hilary Clinton and US Christians regarding the “real Wailing Wall”:
Before this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, it is up to people of Conscience to agitate their governments to help FREE Vanunu Now:
Another reason I am running for House of Representatives is to agitate for “we the people” with hope to inspire others to run themselves.
BEYOND NUCLEAR: Mordechai Vanunu’s FREEDOM of SPEECH Trial and My Life as a Muckraker: 2005-2010 is my only fundraising vehicle. The WWW is the Media that allows me voice and I am most grateful for that as I am to the Constitution which established the qualifications for members of the House of Representatives.
All that is required is that a Representative must be 25 years of age, a citizen of the U.S. for at least seven years, and a legal resident of the state in which his/her district resides.
As I searched for a District to serve in the US House of Representatives for 2012, I planned the first in what I hoped to be a series of stories from small towns and big cities throughout Florida. Through this proceess I once again learned the beginning of a story is often found at the end.
I learned at the end that non-profit organizations may not be affiliated with anything political and so The Political Message Removed from “To Oprah and Friends RSVP: Ideal Women’s Club” was cut from To Oprah and Friends RSVP: Ideal Women’s Club, Winter Park, Florida which had been made in honor of Mary Lee DePugh and in her spirit concluded with an invitation to Oprah Winfrey, all of her friends and every visitor to Central Florida.
The Political Message Removed from “To Oprah and Friends RSVP: Ideal Women’s Club” serves as my invitation to any group or organization in Florida who want to share their Florida story and send a message to D.C., to please contact this reporter @ [email protected]