To learn about the 68th Festival de Cannes from May 13, 2015 – May 24, 2015 and the list of films that were selected , the world’s largest film festival. there was a the press conference for journalists from Paris on April 16, 2015 at the UGC Normandie Theatre on the Champs Elyseee.
First I stopped to admire the official poster for the 68th Cannes Festival featuring a young Ingrid Bergman. Then I headed into the theatre to hear Thierry Frémoux, General Director, and Pierre Lescure, the President of the Film Festival, talk about the 68th Festival de Cannes and announce the films that were selected. Hardly any good seats were left but I was lucky to have found a seat with good visability near the front.
The films were selected primarily by three committees: French Committee, Foreign Film committee and young people who volunteered to see the films. All films that were submitted were viewed. Please see the list below of the selected films for the official competition . A few more will be added to the list.
- Jacques Audriad DHEEPAN (TEMPORARY TITLE)
- Stéphane Brisé LA LOI DE MARCHE (MARKET FORCES)
- Valérie Donzelli MARGUARITE ET JULIEN
- Matteo Garrone IL RACCONTO DE RACCONTI (TALE OF TALES)
- Todd Haynes CAROL
- Hsiao Hsien Hou NIE YINNIANG (THE ASSASIN)
- Zhang-Ke Jia SHAN HE GU REN (MOUNTAINS MAY DEPART)
- Hirokazu Kore-Eda UMIMACHI DIARY (OUR LITTLE SISTER)
- Justin Kurzel MACBETH
- Yorgos Lanthimos THE LOBSTER
- Maiwenn MON ROI ( MY KING)
- Nanni Moretti MIA MADRE (MY MOTHER)
- Lazio Nemes SAUL FIA (SAUL’S SON)
- Paolo Sorrentino YOUTH
- Joachim Trier LOUDER THAN BOMBS
- Gus Van Sant THE SEA OF TREES
- Denis Villeneuve SICARRO
- Neeeraj Ghaywan MASSAN
- Grimur Hakonarson HRUTAR (RAMS)
- Kiyoshi Kurosawa KISHIBE NO TABI (TOWARDS THE OTHER RIVER)
- Laruent Larivière JE SUIS UN SOLDAT ( I AM A SOLDIER)
- Dalibor Matanic ZVIZDAN (BLAZING SUN)
- Roberto Minervini THE OTHER SIDE
- Radu Muntean UN ETAJ MAI JOS ( THE FLOOR BELOW)
- Seung-Uk Oh MU-ROE-HAN (THE SHAMELESS)
- David Pablos LAS ELEGIDAS (THE CHOSEN ONES)
- Ida Porumboiu NAHID
- Corneliu Porumboiu COMOARA (THE TREASURE)
- Gurvinda Singh CHAUTHI KOOT (THE FOURTH TRACT)
- Suwon Shin MADONNA
- Alice Winocour MARYLAND
The opening film will be Emmanuelle Bercot LA TETE HAUTE.
There will also be special screenings and short films.
After the presentation I went on stage and listened as Pierre Lescure remarked that ¨to succeed a film festival has to give the people in the whole world a desire to go to the cinema.¨
He answered my question about how many films were submitted by replying 1852. Then I asked how they chose the official films.. He said that they chose 400 films and then picked the final ones. There will be a few more added to the list we received.
After the presentation, the press was offered champagne, wine and soft drinks and snacks.
The other journalists I spoke to were looking forward to going to the 68th Festival de Cannes.
Jane Rosenstein is a U.S. citizen living in Paris, France. She is a professional translator/interpreter. She is the owner of The International Connection which does international marketing consultation including sales of wine, interpretation, and translation.
She enjoys the cultural life that living in Paris offers and has talents in organizing events. She speaks English, French, and Spanish. She has a B.S. degree in mathematics from the University of Pittsburgh and an M.B.A. degree from Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA.