Military veterans served their country by willingly risking their lives to keep citizens in their country safe. It is only fitting to give them the best services including trustworthy and reliable lawyers to defend them during lawsuits. Disability claims are the most common legal actions that veterans need assistance with.
A veteran disability claim provides tax-free financial support to former soldiers who incurred a disease or injury during their time of service. The government also offers compensation for post-service disabilities that are associated with any harm that happened when they were in the military.
If you are a veteran or a relative, get an idea of the amount you can claim through this va disability calculator. With many strategies that marketing for lawyers have nowadays, it’s best to look for a dependable legal team who can aid your cause.
A lawyer can help you with:
- Filing the Right Disability Claim
There are different types of disability claims and, if this is your first time to file, you need a lawyer to assist you with identifying the right document, fill it up with the necessary information, and providing evidence to support your claim.
These are the types of VA disability claims:
- Original – This claim can be prepared up to 180 days before leaving the service. It is used to recognize your disability as a result of your duty. You will need medical evidence for the document
- Increased – For a higher disability compensation, you can file for increased claim when a confirmed service-connected injury got worse. You will need current evidence like a doctor’s certificate and laboratory results.
- Special – Special claims are filed to request compensation for additional needs such as a vehicle specifically made for your disability, your surgery and other treatment, or payment for inability to work due to the service-connected disability.
- Reopened – If you have a claim that was denied at least a year ago due to lack of evidence supporting it, you can file a reopened claim with the necessary proof.
- New – This type of document is used to request compensation for more financial support, special monthly payments, and to update Individual Unemployability status.
- Secondary – This is filed for new injuries or diseases that are caused by your current disability. An example would be if you developed arthritis due to a service-connected knee injury you got while on active duty.
- Following the Protocol
Aside from knowing which forms to file, you also need help in identifying which department to submit the documents to and, generally, just the right way to go about things.
A lawyer works daily with different offices of the government so they know who to give your papers to and how long you need to wait before you can follow up your claim.
- Understanding the Law
Veteran disability lawsuits are complex. An attorney who concentrates in this particular area can help answer questions you may have.
They can also give you tips on the evidence that you need to support your claim to get it approved. Lawyers are equipped to know the ins and outs of the law and the legal system so they can make the process as seamless as possible.
- Defending Your Innocence
Let’s say you were charged with a crime you did not commit like running a red light. An exceptional lawyer can present your most persuasive case even with the evidence pointing at you. When you seek legal counsel, they can explain to you the options you have and help you avoid severe penalties before the trial.
- Negotiating Settlements
Hiring a lawyer who has had experience with your type of case will be an advantage for you since they can already see the resolutions that the judge may come up with during the trial.
There are times when a settlement is the most sensible choice while there are cases that you should push through with the trial. An attorney can help you make smart decisions based on what’s best for your situation.
- Protect Your Rights
Ultimately, a lawyer makes sure that you get the compensation that you deserve. Whether it’s about your disability claims or other lawsuits, the right legal support will facilitate in granting you a fair trial and the right amount of payment for the damages inflicted on you.
Getting good legal representation is vital in lawsuits. An excellent lawyer can figure out all the angles to your case and can plead your cause to the judge and jury. They’ll also assist you in filing different government forms which may use complicated and highly-technical language that only your attorney can understand and explain to you in simple terms.