Cemetary at Belleau Wood is a Tribute to American Troops.
The Battle of Belleau Wood took place between June 1 and June 26 in the year, 1918, near the Marne River in France. The battle between the Germans and the U.S. Second, who were under the command of Major General Omar Bundy and included a brigade of United States Marines , and the Third Divisions. They were accompanied by the 6th Marine Regiment and the 9th Infantry Regiment with the 5th Marines and the 23rd Infantry regiments in reserve. As Chateau Thierry and Vaux fell, German troops moved into Belleau Wood. What was to take place was a major battle between the U.S. forces and German troops.
General Pershing stated, ” The Battle of Belleau Wood was for the U.S. the biggest battle since Appomattox and the most considerable engagment U.S. troops have every had with a foreign enemy.”
This American Battle Monument was built in 1923 in Belleau Wood. There are a total of 2,289 graves, with 250 for unknown service men, with still pristine white crosses and Stars of David. In total there are an additional 1,060 names of the missing on the wall of the memorial chapel. The Monument and Cemetary are true reflections of the dedication and sacrifice of our service men.
Pictures taken by Carol Ware Duff.
Carol graduated from Riverside White Cross School of Nursing in Columbus, Ohio and received her diploma as a registered nurse. She attended Bowling Green State University where she received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History and Literature. She attended the University of Toledo, College of Nursing, and received a Master’s of Nursing Science Degree as an Educator.
She has traveled extensively, is a photographer, and writes on medical issues. Carol has three children RJ, Katherine, and Stephen – one daughter-in-law; Katie – two granddaughters; Isabella Marianna and Zoe Olivia – and one grandson, Alexander Paul. She also shares her life with her husband Gordon Duff, many cats, and two rescues.