Someone Needs to Clean Their Own House
By Gordon Duff, Senior Editor
I have the privilege to work in world law enforcement. With that, some of my friends are friends of Sheriff Joe Arpiao, of Maricopa County, let’s be honest and call it “Phoenix.” He has made his bones by defecating on the constitution and playing “birther” politics.
To put this in perspective, we will insert two small clips from the HBO show “Newsroom” describing the financial crimes that destroyed Arizona. Sheriff Joe has been silent on these “national issues” choosing to go “tin foil hat” and “wingnut.”
His most recent claim that no hospital employee would have used the term “African” before 1989 is idiotic. They write whatever they want on birth certificates as I know very well, a father of three. Frankly, back in the 60s, white woman, Hawaii, husband not “white,” a hated minority in Hawaii or Japanese, almost blue black with a funny accent, a nurse there would have written nothing but “African” because “Negro” does not go with the British accent.
More of what has really destroyed America with full approval from Sheriff Joe who has appointed himself overseer of American morality. His silence means “approval.”
What he is doing, as “the law is the law” is finding some laws “inconvenient” because his friends and supporters have made billions bilking the people of Arizona, stealing their homes, impoverishing their cities and, yes, opening the border to the illegal aliens he pretends to be so offended by. Joe is a phony.
This was the 60s, and “Negro,” describes an American of “Southern Speech.” Get Dr. King’s speech. Listen.
What “Joe” is we know. He points his finger else where for reasons:
- He panders to Sun City voters, white, racist, ignorant and suddenly missing their home equity and retirement funds. They need to blame someone, why not the wrong person because “Bush worshipping Sheriff Joe” was always as he is today, part of the problem
- Phoenix is the drug capitol of the world outside Kabul. None of this would go on unless he was running one of the dirtiest departments in the US. Phoenix, once on of America’s most beautiful cities, has, under his rule, turned into a cesspool of drugs and child prostitution.
- As for child prostitution, he has tried there, having gone after “Backpage” and the Village Voice Media, which accounts for 84% of the nations child trafficking for sex. He had their owners arrested once, they kicked back and he backed off. Not up to the fight it seems. Thus, America’s child sex rings are run from Phoenix, on his watch and he was unable to handle it, too ill prepared, no guts for a long fight or think of some other reason? MoveOn.com, the “Dems” are working full time to break this ring up, operating under his nose.
- Sheriff Joe runs a huge prison system where his wife is caterer. She has grown wealthy feeding those locked up, usually poor, mostly drug users, a diet of baloney sandwiches and stale bread while being paid for feeding them the equivalent of a military diet. What are the chances of her being investigated?
- Sheriff Joe’s famous “illegal alien” roundups are nothing but “bread and circuses.” He sits on a disaster, can’t manage a Dairy Queen and keeps getting reelected because he is an incompetent “blowhard” running a pack of “mall guards” lording over hell itself.
- His knowledge of forensic science could be written on the head of a pin.
Arizona is America’s biggest blunder. The border was purposefully left open by Republicans to break unions, drive down wages and Republicans like “Joe” are tasked with clownish lies to help cover for the fact they are tied to a political party under the thumb of the Mormon theocracy, an organization that parallels Capone’s, he caters to massive narcotics dealing and now has turned a blind eye to the largest child trafficking, kidnap and prostitution ring in the nation.
Another story from an Arizona insider. When Janet Napolitano was US Attorney, Arpiao had a problem. A prisoner was murdered, on video tape, deputies beating a suspect to death. This has happened many times. Arpiao faced prison for this. Insiders say Maricopa County Jail is run by criminal gangs in partnership with the Sheriff’s office, preying on the innocent, sexual assaults, blackmail, starvation, civil rights violations and massive corruption. Legal authorities tend to agree and have continually tried to reform what has become a county that is both gulag and dictatorship.
Napolitano, of “Fast and Furious” fame and “Sheriff Joe” are joined at the hip. Why? Do we want to know? I am not sure any of us have a strong enough stomach but “knowing” is the price of democracy and those stupid enough to think demagogues are heroes helped us get where we are now.
This is one of many such videos, one of a murder he was responsible for, having paid out over $43 million in settlements to families.
Wikipedia has a site on corruption Sheriff Joe’s watch. He is, officially, the worst law enforcement officer in American history, including Chicago under Capone:
According to the Washington Post, on 17 August 2010, the United States Department of Justice Civil Rights Division is opening an inquiry into the Sheriff’s Department in relation to alleged racism and abuse of power, as well as refusing to cooperate with a federal Justice Department investigation.
On December 15, 2011 the Justice Department released its finding that the Sheriff’s department repeatedly arrested Latinos illegally, abused them in the county jails and failed to investigate hundreds of sexual assaults. The Department of Homeland Security, reacting to the Justice Department report, revoked Maricopa County jail officers’ authority to detain people on immigration charges. The Justice Department report found that the Sheriff’s office carried out a blatant pattern of discrimination against Latinos and held a “systematic disregard” for the Constitution. The Department’s racial profiling expert found the sheriff’s office to be the most egregious case of profiling ever seen in the U.S.
Well, we could talk about casino mobsters from Vegas but calling GOP top contributor Adelman a mobster isn’t fair as I don’t want my legs blown off. Did we mention the Koch Brothers, the leaders of the international cartel fixing gas prices at $1.50 a gallon over actual retail. Think Arizona suffers from that? They don’t drive there?
At one point, Joe has the county purchase 89 cars which he “lent” to his friends and supporters until local papers learned of it. Every cent spent under his watch has drifted somewhere it never should have, perhaps because he and, very surprisingly, former US Attorney Janet Napolitano, now director of the Department of Homeland Security, were best friends?
He is the one inserting himself into national politics, and with that comes accountability. Seems “Joe” has, not only a “blind eye” but talks “out of one side of his mouth.”
All is on his watch while he talks “birth certificate.”
Here is what CNN says about tax issues and Mitt Romney. Every other candidate, decade after decade, has released tax forms. Romney has held most of his back because he is hiding something and that “something” can only be crime:
Romney’s 2010 tax return, when combined with his FEC disclosure, reveals red flags that raise serious tax compliance questions with respect to his possible tax minimization strategies in earlier years. The release in October of his 2011 return will at best act as a distraction from these questions.
So, what are the issues?
The first is Romney’s Swiss bank account. Most presidential candidates don’t think it appropriate to bet that the U.S. dollar will lose value by speculating in Swiss Francs, which is basically the rationale offered by the trustee of Romney’s “blind” trust for opening this account. What’s more, if you really want just to speculate on foreign currencies, you don’t need a Swiss bank account to do so.
The Swiss bank account raises tax compliance questions, too.
News: Americans view Romney’s campaign more unfavorably than Obama’s
The account seems to have been closed early in 2010, but was the income in fact reported on earlier tax returns? Did the Romneys timely file the required disclosure forms to the Treasury Department
Hey Joe, ever hear of Mitt Romney? You don’t think the likelihood of money laundering might effect Maricopa County, America’s drug running center?
I am going to be in Arizona, as I hope I will be backing a candidate for governor. If plans come together though we won’t have the full access to mob money or cash from the Quayle family, we will try to “re-Americanize” Arizona.
It wasn’t illegal aliens that took Arizona away.
It wasn’t even Joe. He is just inept and over his head.
Arizona needs to stand up to the federal government, needed to start under Bush when Joe was the definition of the problem itself.
It needs a strong drug policy, new police departments, including “Joes” has to go and it needs to be made safe, livable and the many, the hundreds of officials who work for drug cartels need to rot in prison.
They go to the highest levels.
Joe is NOT one of those. He is just a small down bumpkin in over his head.
Professionals need to come in, recognize the real problems, push Joe aside, and start dealing with justice, with federal help and if they choose to be part of the problem, move them aside too.
That is why we have courts.
States have rights, citizens have rights and watching a moron run a circus may be one of them, electing idiots may be a right also and Joe didn’t invent the problem.
Joe is just a distraction.
I do wonder why. Why do we have him, now, when faced with Mitt Romney, who I believe is “mobbed up” running against Obama? Did Sheriff Joe miss the meaning of thousands of offshore bank accounts? He doesn’t think massive financial crime shows up on the streets of Phoenix?
What is the game here?
I know this much, Romney is toast, a nightmare for America and, not just Obama but government has failed.
The biggest failure is the GOP. It has to go.
References on Joe Arpaio Misconduct:
- ^ Janofsky, Michael (2002-05-16). “Another Plot Against Tough Sheriff, With a Twist”. New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806EED71039F935A25756C0A9649C8B63.
- ^ The original source for the sobriquet “America’s Toughest Sheriff” is unknown, however both Arpaio and his press relations staff aggressively promote its use. Note Arpaio’s book, titled “America’s Toughest Sheriff.”
- ^ Markon, Jerry; McCrummen, Stephanie (2010-08-18). “U.S. may sue Arizona’s Sheriff Arpaio for not cooperating in investigation”. The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/17/AR2010081703637.html. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- ^ Pattern of civil rights abuses alleged in Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Maricopa County (LA Times)
- ^ Joe Arpaio accused by feds of racial profiling (AP)
- ^ Feds issue scathing report against Ariz. sheriff
- ^ “Vision Statement”. mcso.org. Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department. http://www.mcso.org/index.php?a=GetModule&mn=About_Mcso. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ “Mission Unaccomplished: The Misplaced Priorities of the Maricopa County Sheriff ’s Office”. mcso.org. Goldwater Institute. http://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/Common/Img/Mission%20Unaccomplished.pdf. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ a b “Reasonable Doubt”. East Mesa Tribune. East Mesa Tribune. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/page/reasonable_doubt. Retrieved 2010-04-04. [dead link]
- ^ “ACLU Sues Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office For Illegal Arrest And Detention Of U.S. Citizen And Legal Resident | American Civil Liberties Union”. Aclu.org. 2009-08-19. http://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/aclu-sues-maricopa-county-sheriffs-office-illegal-arrest-and-detention-us-citizen-. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ “Sheriff Arpaio Sued Over Racial Profiling Of Latinos In Maricopa County | American Civil Liberties Union”. Aclu.org. 2008-07-16. http://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/sheriff-arpaio-sued-over-racial-profiling-latinos-maricopa-county. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ a b “Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez Speaks at the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Investigative Findings Announcement” (Press release). United States Department of Justice. December 15, 2011. http://www.justice.gov/crt/opa/pr/speeches/2011/crt-speech-111215.html.
- ^ a b Phoenix Business Journal (March 11, 2009), Obama administration targets Arpaio, http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2009/03/09/daily40.html, retrieved 2009-03-11
- ^ POSTED: 5:58 pm MST October 29, 2009 (2009-10-29). “Sources: FBI Investigating Joe Arpaio – Phoenix News Story – KPHO Phoenix”. Kpho.com. http://www.kpho.com/news/21470567/detail.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ POSTED: 4:35 pm MST January 7, 2010 (2010-01-07). “Grand Jury Impaneled To Probe Arpaio, MCSO – Phoenix News Story – KPHO Phoenix”. Kpho.com. http://www.kpho.com/news/22177676/detail.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ “AG: Arpaio Probe Serious,Ongoing”. kpho.com. kpho.com. http://www.kpho.com/news/22963860/detail.html. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ “Judge backs county inmates in jail case”. Azcentral.com. 2008-10-23. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/10/23/20081023ruling1023.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ by JJ Hensley – Apr. 8, 2010 12:00 AM The Arizona Republic (2010-04-08). “Judge: County failed to improve jails’ medical, mental-health conditions”. Azcentral.com. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/08/20100408maricopa-county-jail-conditions.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ “” (2009-12-01). “Maricopa County Sheriff’s employee takes documents from defense attorney”. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIoyJ-LyAaE. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Proper title for county law enforcement http://www.realpolice.net/forums/ask-cop-112/9671-sheriff-vs-police.html
- ^ by JJ Hensley – Nov. 18, 2009 10:54 AM The Arizona Republic (2009-11-18). “Officer found in contempt of court in document case”. Azcentral.com. http://www.azcentral.com/fb/articles/2009/11/18/20091118docontempt1118-ON.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ http://www.heatcity.org/2009/11/judge-orders-officer-to-apologize-or-face-jail-for-taking-attorneys-file.html
- ^ http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2009/11/arpaio_i_decide_who_holds_pres.php
- ^ http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2010/04/judge_gary_donahoes_contempt_r.php
- ^ “MCSO detention officer to be jailed”. Azcentral.com. 2009-12-01. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/12/01/20091201abrk-stoddard1130.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Kiefer, Michael (2009-12-02). “Sickout, bomb threat disrupt Superior Court proceedings”. Azcentral.com. http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/12/02/20091202courtdisrupted02-ON.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Kiefer, Michael (2010-04-07). “Contempt-of-court ruling against Arpaio deputy upheld”. Azcentral.com. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/06/20100406joe-arpaio-deputy-contempt-of-court.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ John Dougherty (2004-08-05). “Dog Day Afternoon – News – Phoenix”. Phoenix New Times. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-08-05/news/dog-day-afternoon/full. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ “Sheriff runs female chain gang”. CNN. 2003-10-29. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/10/29/chain.gang.reut/.
- ^ “Mauro v Arpaio”. FindLaw. August 17, 1999. http://google.com/search?q=cache:OORafAXyVWEJ:caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl%3Fcourt%3D9th%26navby%3Dcase%26no%3D9716021v3%26exact%3D1+9716021v3&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en.
- ^ “Arpaio Launches KJOE Radio”. KPHO.com. 2007-02-05. http://www.kpho.com/news/10932222/detail.html. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- ^ Villa, Judi (2007-03-24). “Inmates cut loose in ‘Idol’ knockoff; Jail contest aims to build self-esteem”. The Arizona Republic. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0324idle0324.html. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- ^ a b Sink, Mindy (August 24, 2000). “Hoping People Watch Jail And Won’t Want to Visit”. The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFD61631F937A1575BC0A9669C8B63&scp=1&sq=arpaio%20cameras%20jail&st=cse.
- ^ Lemons, Stephen (2009-01-12). “SHERIFF LAWBREAKER: Joe Arpaio’s Jails Lose Accreditation Again, and Again, and Again – Phoenix News – Feathered Bastard”. Blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com. http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2009/01/sheriff_lawbreaker_joe_arpaios.php. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Reinhart, Mary K. (30 September 2008), “Jail health care loses accreditation”, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix, AZ), http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/article_6fff57cc-4521-5ea4-89e4-4dfa497583bc.html1
- ^ Edward Harrelson, President of the National Commission on Correctional Health Care (25 September 2008). “Accreditation Termination Letter”. (Web link).
- ^ “Judge Calls Maricopa County Jail Conditions Unconstitutional | American Civil Liberties Union”. Aclu.org. 2008-10-22. http://www.aclu.org/prisoners-rights/judge-calls-maricopa-county-jail-conditions-unconstitutional. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ The Honorable Jeffrey S. Cates, Judge (September 26, 2002), Appeal from the Superior Court in Maricopa County, Cause No. CV 97-008668, http://www.cofad1.state.az.us/opinionfiles/cv/cv010239.pdf
- ^ AWOL Soldiers Serving Sentences At Tent City – Phoenix News Story – KPHO Phoenix
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ Ananda Shorey (July 25, 2003), Phoenix is sizzling through what could be the hottest July on record, signonsandiego.com, http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20030725-2230-phoenixheat.html, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ The Guardian Online – A Life Again
- ^ Sara Fenske (December 2, 2009). “Where in the World’s Deputy Adam Stoddard? Our Bet’s in the Mesa Hilton”. http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2009/12/where_in_the_world_is_deputy_a.php. Retrieved 5–7–12.
- ^ CNN (March 10, 2004), Anderson Cooper 360 transcript, CNN, http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/10/acd.00.html, retrieved 2009-03-04
- ^ CNN reporter Eric Phillips interviews Sheriff Arpaio and a juvenile offender, CNN, March 11, 2004, http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/11/lt.01.html, retrieved 2007-10-20 (CNN Live Today transcript)
- ^ Laundry Services
- ^ Tony Ortega (May 27, 1999), Blowing His Cool, Phoenix New Times, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1999-05-27/news/blowing-his-cool/, retrieved 2008-06-19
- ^ Not Pretty In Pink, The Smoking Gun, January 14, 2005, http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0114052pinkcuffs1.html, retrieved 2008-06-19
- ^ “‘Illegals’ in jail ordered to register for draft”. Deseret News. January 16, 2004. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20040116/ai_n11434516. [dead link]
- ^ a b “Re-Elect Joe Arpaio – Teaching to Have a Heart”. Sheriffjoe.com. Committee to Re-Elect Joe Arpaio 2008. http://www.sheriffjoe.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=9. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- ^ Homeland Security limits ties with Arizona’s Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- ^ Randal C. Archibald (May 10, 2006), Arizona County Uses New Law to Look for Illegal Immigrants, The New York times, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/10/us/10smuggle.html?ex=1304913600&en=d28539b33576bf6b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ “Arizona sheriff uses posse, new law to jail illegals”. The Washington Times. May 11, 2006. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/may/10/20060510-115750-3996r/.
- ^ Daniel González (March 11, 2009), Arpaio to be investigated over alleged violations, Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2009/03/11/20090311investigation0311.html, retrieved 2009-03-11
- ^ TPMMuckraker (December 14, 2009), Arpaio Turns to Former Bush DOJ Official To Stymie Federal Probe, http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/arpaio_turns_to_former_bush_doj_official_to_stymie.php, retrieved 2009-12-20
- ^ Arpaio To DOJ: ‘Don’t Pick On Me’, KPHO, July 8, 2009, http://www.kpho.com/news/19991075/detail.html, retrieved 2009-12-20
- ^ “Tough sheriff’s immigration duties face limits after complaints”. CNN. October 8, 2009. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/08/arizona.sheriff.immigration/#cnnSTCVideo.
- ^ JJ Hensley and Ryan Randazzo (14 July 2011), “Worker with expired Mexican ID arrested at nuclear plant”, Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/07/14/20110714mcso-palo-verde-arrest0714-ON.html
- ^ Justice Denied: The Improper Clearance of Unsolved Crimes by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office https://goldwaterinstitute.org/AboutUs/ArticleView.aspx?id=2666
- ^ Mission Unaccomplished: The Misplaced Priorities of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office http://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/article/2629
- ^ “Goldwater Institute: Arpaio’s crime clearance rate a sham”. AzCapitolTimes.com. 2009-05-22. http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2009/05/22/goldwater-institute-arpaio8217s-crime-clearance-rate-a-sham-2/. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- ^ The numbers don’t match Arpaio’s hype http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139717
- ^ a b Fenske, Sarah (2009-05-28). “How the MCSO Neglected a 14-Year-Old Rape Victim”. Phoenix New Times. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-05-28/news/two-statutory-rape-allegations-tell-us-everything-we-need-to-know-about-the-mcso-s-priorities/. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- ^ a b Bernstein, Josh (2009-05-21). “Sexual assault victim claims MCSO failed to do its job”. ABC15. Archived from the original on 2009-05-23. http://web.archive.org/web/20090523094549/http://www.abc15.com/content/news/investigators/story/Sexual-assault-victim-claims-MCSO-failed-to-do/Clk4sc9W30WbpU6Si-4TgA.cspx.
- ^ a b c d See Part IV “Public safety shortchanged throughout county” http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/page/reasonable_doubt
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ “Victim Power”. Victim Power. http://victimpower.org/2009/05/31/exceptionally-cleared/. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ “Sheriff Joe Arpaio Unapologetic About Tactics, Illegal Immigrant Crackdowns – ABC News”. Abcnews.go.com. 2009-07-23. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/sheriff-joe-arpaio-unapologetic-tactics-illegal-immigrant-crackdowns/story?id=9219341&page=2. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Jailhouse Webcams: Courts aren’t seeing their way clear, USA Today, 9 August 2004, http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ericjsinrod/2004-09-01-sinrod_x.htm
- ^ a b Demery v. Arpaio, Appeal from the United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- ^ “Arpaio loses long battle over jailcam”. Azcentral.com. 2006-09-12. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0912jailcam0912.html. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- ^ Judge Neil Wake takes action in the jail conditions lawsuit against Arpaio, Phoenix New Times, 12 June 2008, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-06-12/news/judge-neil-wake-takes-action-in-the-jail-conditions-lawsuit-against-arpaio/
- ^ John Dickerson (20 May 2007), Inhumanity Has a Price, Phoenix New Times, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-12-20/news/inhumanity-has-a-price/
- ^ a b Ill-treatment of inmates in Maricopa County jails, Arizona, Amnesty International, 1 August 1997, http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engAMR510511997?open&of=eng-2am
- ^ Griffin, Mary L (2001). The Use of Force by Detention Officers. LFB Scholarly Publishing. p. 42. ISBN 1-931202-01-X. http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=8SkFHEBeEqkC&dq=griffin+%22The+Use+of+Force+by+Detention+Officers,&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=r5ynnnX_AH&sig=sfEbQmqP7XWW4f5BJ3BML8usKVQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA7,M1.
- ^ Special Report: Health and death behind bars, East Valley Tribune, 3 May 2008, http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/115427
- ^ Gary Grado (25 May 2006), Jury awards $9M in jail death, East Valley Tribune, http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/61786
- ^ Family of ex-BYU. football player to get $8.25 million, Associated Press, 1999-01-12, http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NewsLibrary&p_multi=DSNB&d_place=DSNB&p_theme=newslibrary2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0F364E9124BE074E&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM
- ^ Murder on Madison: The Norberg Remix, Phoenix New Times, April 15, 1999, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1999-04-15/news/murder-on-madison-the-norberg-remix/2, retrieved 2008-05-09
- ^ Tweaking the Truth, Phoenix New Times News, December 17, 1998, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1998-12-17/news/tweaking-the-truth/, retrieved 2009-07-08
- ^ Flashes, Phoenix New Times News, March 20, 1997, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issues/1997-03-20/news/news.html, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ The $8 Million Victim, Phoenix New Times News, January 14, 1999, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1999-01-14/news/the-8-million-victim/, retrieved 2008-05-10
- ^ Tony Ortega (January 23, 1997), Jailers Show a Paraplegic Who’s Boss, Phoenix new timesnews, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1997-01-23/news/jailers-show-a-paraplegic-who-s-boss/1, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ Barry Graham (April 1, 2001), Star of Justice, Harper’s Magazine, http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-72732952.html
- ^ Third Amended Complaint, Evans et al. v. Maricopa County et al., September 20, 2006, pp. 8–9.
- ^ JJ Hensley and Yvonne Wingett (April 25, 2008). “Abuse lawsuits against Arpaio settled”. Arizona Daily Star. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/04/25/20080425manning-letter0425.html. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- ^ Melissa Gonzalo (April 14, 2008). “Local attorney speaking out against Sheriff Arpaio”. Arizona Daily Star. http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2008/04/14/20080414mcsoallegations04142008-CR.html. Retrieved 2005-05-11.
- ^ Sheriff’s deputies arrest New Times owners.
- ^ Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin (October 18, 2007), Breathtaking Abuse of the Constitution, Phoenix New Times, http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-10-18/news/breathtaking-abuse-of-the-constitution/1, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/1020newtimes1020.html
- ^ Associated Press (October 20, 2007), No Charges for Execs Arrested in ‘Phoenix Times’ Case, Editor & Publisher, http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003661135, retrieved 2007-10-20
- ^ Hon. Anna M. Baca (November 28, 2007), Ruling in the Matter of: CR MISC 2007, Judicial Branch of Arizon, Maricopa County, http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/MediaRelationsAndCommunityOutreach/CourtCases/Rulings/rulingsReaditem.asp?autonumb=284, retrieved 2010-12-29
- ^ Michael Kiefer (April 30, 2008), ‘New Times’ executives sue Arpaio, Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0430manninglawsuit0430.html, retrieved 2008-05-10
- ^ Mark Flatten, “Tribune celebrates winning Pulitzer Prize”, East Valley Tribune, April 20, 2009
- ^ a b “The conspiracy that won’t stop”. Arizona Republic. 23 December 2009. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2009/12/23/20091223wed1-23.html.
- ^ “Arpaio, Thomas are abusing power”. Sheila Polk. The Arizona Republic. 22 Dececember 2009. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2009/12/21/20091221polk22-ON.html. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ Valley rabbis’ statement on Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Jewish News of Greater Phoenix, 24 July 2009, http://www.jewishaz.com/issues/story.mv?080425+statement
- ^ Phoenix Mayor Gordon calls for FBI investigation of Arpaio, The Arizona Republic, 13 April 2008, http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0413gordonarpaio0413.html
- ^ New York Times editorial board (December 31, 2008). “America’s Worst Sheriff (Joe Arpaio)”. The New York Times. http://theboard.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/americas-worst-sheriff-joe-arpaio/.
- ^ “Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, Joe Arpaio, Sheriff, News Brief”. mcso.org. Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department. http://www.mcso.org/include/pr_pdf/Judicial%20Complaints%20News%20Brief%202009.pdf. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ “Department of Justice Office of Public Integrity Agrees to Review Allegations of Maricopa County Public Corruption Investigated by Sheriff’s Office”. mcso.org. Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department. http://www.mcso.org/include/pr_pdf/3-11-2010%20News%20Release.pdf. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ “DOJ Chastises Arpaio’s Attorney”. kpho.com. kpho.com. http://www.kpho.com/news/22830763/detail.html. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- ^ “Letter from ‘Raymond N. Hulser, Acting Chief, Department of Justice Office of Public Integrity Section to Mr. Robert Driscoll Alston & Bird LLP”. kpho.com. kpho.com. http://www.kpho.com/download/2010/0313/22830757.pdf. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Official Bio
- Local News Coverage of Arpaio from KPHO.com and CBS 5 News (KPHO-TV)
- Local News Coverage of Arpaio from azfamily.com and KTVK-3TV[dead link]
Gordon Duff posted articles on VT from 2008 to 2022. He is a Marine combat veteran of the Vietnam War. A disabled veteran, he worked on veterans and POW issues for decades.
Gordon is an accredited diplomat and is generally accepted as one of the top global intelligence specialists. He manages the world’s largest private intelligence organization and regularly consults with governments challenged by security issues.
Duff has traveled extensively, is published around the world, and is a regular guest on TV and radio in more than “several” countries. He is also a trained chef, wine enthusiast, avid motorcyclist, and gunsmith specializing in historical weapons and restoration. Business experience and interests are in energy and defense technology.